Guidelines for Winter Activities
Guidelines for Winter
Giltner Public Schools
a.All players, coaches, managers, and other personnel are required to wear masks
at all times during practices.
b.Students will be given 2 athletic masks to use for competitions and practices
c.The mask rule is in effect due to the school vote to mandate masks in Giltner
d.All youth, junior high, and senior high practices on GHS premises must adhere to
a.Teams must change, then bring their bags and equipment out of the locker room
so custodians can clean the locker rooms after school.
i.Practice after school = no showers
ii.Practice before school = yes showers
iii.After home games = yes showers
iv.After away games = yes showers
a.Teams are NOT allowed to share or switch gyms for practices during one given
day of practice.
b.Teams will alternate between gyms every day of practice. Coaches must work
with each other to coordinate which team practices in which gym.
c.Youth, Junior High, and High School teams must adhere to this rule.
a.Teams cannot share basketball racks during practices.
b.Student managers must wipe down and disinfect all balls after each practice.
c.All pads, balls, jerseys, and other equipment must be disinfected after practices
or as often as possible.
d.Youth, junior high, and high school teams must follow this rule as well.
a.All personnel riding school transportation must have a mask on at all times
a.Coaches must temperature check all personnel riding the bus before the depart
for away activities
a.Coaches must sign a waiver once completing the temperature checks to give to
the host school
b.Schools visiting GHS must sign the same waiver and present it to the
administrator on duty for home games at GHS
4.Transportation Release Forms
a.This rule is still in effect
b.Forms must be turned in 24 hours in advance to the coach, and be signed and
approved by the head coach and athletic director.
a.According to the NSAA:
i.Participants are permitted, but not required, to wear face coverings during
ii.Coaches and non-active participants are required to wear face coverings
at all times.
iii.Spectators are required to wear face coverings at all times while
attending indoor events.
iv.Host school requirements must be the same for all schools, officials,
judges and spectators.
v.ANY FANS NOT WEARING MASKS WHEN ENTERING THE SCHOOL
WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ADMISSION.
2.Admission & Entrances
a.Giltner fans and visiting fans will enter the main doors on the east side of the
b.Giltner fans will occupy the bleachers on the east side, and visiting fans will
occupy the bleachers on the west side of the gym.
a.Basketballl - 75 Giltner fans, 75 visiting fans (25% according to DHM)
b.Only HOUSEHOLD members of athletes will be allowed admission to Giltner
c.Families must sit in household groups and maintain 6 feet distance between
other household groups.
d.Once attendance has been met, no additional fans will be allowed in.
e.After each game played, fans who do not have players playing in the following
games, will be asked to leave to make room for spectators coming in to watch
f.All Giltner home activities will be broadcast on Striv -
a.Fans must check their health before coming to a game hosted by Giltner Public
i.If any fan is feeling unwell, please stay home to help in reducing the
spread of COVID-19 or any other sickness.
5.Visiting Teams Responsibility
i.Teams must temperature check their athletes before getting on the bus to
come to GHS hosted events.
ii.Teams must sign and give the AD at GHS the waiver stating that this
procedure has been completed correctly.
b.Any athlete or game personnel not feeling well, must not be allowed to attend at
the discretion of the visiting school’s AD and coach(es).
a.NO CONCESSIONS AT GHS HOSTED EVENTS
i.Due to the issue of safety, there will be no concessions at any games that
will be held at GHS
a.All fans will use the restrooms located in the main hallway right outside of the
a.Limit the number of athletes for captains meeting (no shaking hands)
b.No postgame ritual of shaking hands will be allowed
9.Pep Band/Student Section
a.GHS pep band will be allowed to play for home games
b.No pep band allowed for visiting teams
c.No student sections
i.Students must sit with families
ii.Student sections must be used for general fan seating
a.GHS cheer/dance team will be allowed to participate for home games
b.Visiting cheer/dance teams will be allowed at GHS hosted events.
c.GHS cheer team will NOT travel to away contests.
11.Fan Postgame Protocol
a.Parents are NOT allowed on the football field or gym floor after games or
matches. There will be no conversing with athletes after a game. Fans will be
required to leave immediately after the game. Athletes will go straight to the
locker room after the game/match.
c.Parents & athletes may converse in the parking lot or outside of Giltner facilities
after the athletes have changed and have left the premises.
12.Food and Team Meals
a.No outside food will be allowed inside the GHS school
b.Team meals may ONLY be distributed outside the gym before getting onto the
bus to go back to their respective school(s).
13.Youth, Junior High and other non-varsity activities
a.All non-varsity activities that are hosted at GHS will adhere to all of the same
restrictions that are listed above
14.NSAA Winter guidelines
Giltner Public Schools
2020-21 NSAA Winter Season Guidelines
Circumstancesrelated to the COVID-19 pandemic are constantly changing and vary from community to community. Difficult decisions will have to be made from week to week or even day to day. The health and safety of students, staff, and local communities remain the priority of the NSAA as we provide opportunities to participate in the wintersports season.
Each school has the authority to determine if it will participate in the 2020-21 Winter Season. During the season it will be the responsibility of the host school to provide administrative oversight and compliance with established COVID-19 guidelines in accordance with their local health departments and facilities.
FOR ALL WINTER ACTIVITIES:
The NSAA is requiring the following of schools, officials and spectators for all winter season contests:
• Active participants are permitted, but not required, to wear face coverings during competition/performance. • Coaches and non-active participants (those not currently on the court, mat or stage) are required to wear face coverings at all times. Cheer and dance are considered non-active participants.
• Spectators are required to wear face coverings at all times while attending indoor events. • Face coverings must cover the nose and mouth.
• The host school may establish additional requirements in consultation with local health departments. Additional requirements implemented by the host school must be the same for all schools, officials, judges, and spectators.
The host schoolshall comply with the current directed health measure (DHM), mitigate risk and provide adequate opportunities for physical distancing proceduresfor the visiting schools, officials, judges and allspectators.
Recommended protocolsfor winter contest hosts:
• Restricted attendance/seating areas based on current DHM
• Require 6 feet of physical distance between household groups in stands and spectator areas • Create separate points of entry and seating for home and visitor teams/spectators
• Provide no concession stands orseparate/multiple concession stands for home and visitorspectators • Provide separate/multiple restroomsfor home and visitorspectators
• Use signage, stanchions or floor markings to ensure physical distancing of 6 feet at concession stands and restrooms
• Communicate availability of locker room space for the opposing team and officials to maintain 6 feet of physical distance
• Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces
PROGRAM NORMS FOR ALL ACTIVITIES:
• Participants, coaches, judges, officials and staff must perform a self-screening prior to arriving at school sites or participating in NSAA activities.
• Symptomatic participants, coaches, judges, officials and staff may not attend until:
1. Visiting a healthcare provider, being given an alternate diagnosis, are fever-free for 24 hours and symptoms have improved
2. Testing negative for COVID-19
• During practice/rehearsals, coaches and staff shall ensure physical distancing whenever possible. Provide at least 6 feet of distance when participating in warm-up, stretching, instructional time and drills. • During competition, the team, bench, and backstage areas should be restricted to essential personnel only. Coaches, officials, judges and participants must follow physical distancing guidelines maintaining 6 feet of distance when interacting before, during, and after contests/performances.
• Spectators should maintain at least 6 feet from other spectators who are not part of their household and be at least 12 feet from players and coaches during competition.
• Coaches should utilize smaller training/rehearsal groups as much as possible.
• Limit group sizes as much and as often as possible.
• Groups should be kept consistent throughout the season as much as possible.
• A daily attendance record should be kept, including group information.
NSAA encourages schools to play their regularly scheduled competitions unless a COVID-19 issue preventsthem from playing. Memberschools, in consultation with their local health department, shall be responsible for determining whether a scheduled game, match, contest, or other activity is cancelled or postponed due to a COVID-19 related issue. Memberschoolsshall notify the NSAA of any cancellation or postponement.
The NSAA has great appreciation for all its member schools and their tireless efforts to provide opportunities for learning and participation in NSAA activities. Communication, flexibility, and patience will be key in supporting our high school student participants as they participate in activities this winter season.